Our homes have become more important than ever, not only for eating and sleeping but for other needs like working from home and exercising. And while some homeowners will decide to upsize and buy a new property, others take the opportunity to plan home improvements
Are you planning some significant home improvements such as an extension or conversion this year? Wondering how to pay and whether you can raise funds from your mortgage to do it?
Home improvement project
Many homeowners remortgage to fund home improvements because the interest rates tend to be lower than on personal loans or credit cards. But remortgaging will depend on your property, your existing mortgage loan and your current financial situation.
Whether it’s a new bathroom, kitchen, loft conversion or extension, you’ll need to think about the best way of funding your home improvement project.
These are the main things to take into consideration when considering remortgaging to carry out home improvements:
• Affordability: If you increase your mortgage loan, your monthly payments will rise. Before agree-ing to a remortgage in these circumstances, the lender will check your salary is high enough to afford the new payments after all your other outgoings have been deducted.
• Cost of the home improvement: The lender will consider the cost of the home improvements in their assessment to give you an idea of the amount you will need to get from remortgaging. There is a lot to consider when calculating the amount of money you will need for home improvement.
• Credit history: Lenders will look at your income, employment status, job security, debts and credit history. Your credit score is a primary factor in the lender’s decision whether to approve your remortgage or not. So avoid the shock of being rejected by understanding how lenders may see you before you apply.
• Equity: If you’ve owned your property for a number of years, the chances are you’ll have equity. If property prices have really increased since you purchased your home, then you may have enough equity to utilise. This will mean you have even more equity to work with when looking to remortgage.
• Financial circumstances: Whether you are looking to switch to a new mortgage deal with your existing lender or to move to a new lender, your financial situation will be reassessed. If you have a track record of late or missed payments, it may result in lenders turning you down. Lenders that do accept borrowers who have had mortgage payment issues typically charge high interest rates.
• Type of property: Consider whether your home improvements will add value to your home. A local estate agent can help you assess whether you will see a return on your investment if that is important to you.
5 great reasons to stay put and carry out home improvements
1. You could add value to your property
2. Create more living space
3. Stay in your current location
4. Stay near to schools
5. Save money on the cost of moving home
|ApplicationGatewayAffinity||session||This cookie is set by the Laravel Framework. This cookie is used for managing browsing sessions. It enables keeping the web browser traffic assigned to single server.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-advertisement||1 year||Set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin, this cookie is used to record the user consent for the cookies in the "Advertisement" category .|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-analytics||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Analytics".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-necessary||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookies is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Necessary".|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-others||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Other.|
|cookielawinfo-checkbox-performance||11 months||This cookie is set by GDPR Cookie Consent plugin. The cookie is used to store the user consent for the cookies in the category "Performance".|
|CookieLawInfoConsent||1 year||Records the default button state of the corresponding category & the status of CCPA. It works only in coordination with the primary cookie.|
|JSESSIONID||session||The JSESSIONID cookie is used by New Relic to store a session identifier so that New Relic can monitor session counts for an application.|
|__cf_bm||30 minutes||This cookie, set by Cloudflare, is used to support Cloudflare Bot Management.|
|TawkConnectionTime||session||Tawk.to, a live chat functionality, sets this cookie. For improved service, this cookie helps remember users so that previous chats can be linked together.|
|_ga||2 years||The _ga cookie, installed by Google Analytics, calculates visitor, session and campaign data and also keeps track of site usage for the site's analytics report. The cookie stores information anonymously and assigns a randomly generated number to recognize unique visitors.|
|_gid||1 day||Installed by Google Analytics, _gid cookie stores information on how visitors use a website, while also creating an analytics report of the website's performance. Some of the data that are collected include the number of visitors, their source, and the pages they visit anonymously.|
|_session_id||session||Cookie set by G2 to store the visitor’s navigation by recording the landing pages. This allows the website to present products and indicate the efficiency of the website.|
|CONSENT||2 years||YouTube sets this cookie via embedded youtube-videos and registers anonymous statistical data.|
|vuid||2 years||Vimeo installs this cookie to collect tracking information by setting a unique ID to embed videos to the website.|
|VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE||5 months 27 days||A cookie set by YouTube to measure bandwidth that determines whether the user gets the new or old player interface.|
|YSC||session||YSC cookie is set by Youtube and is used to track the views of embedded videos on Youtube pages.|
|yt-remote-connected-devices||never||YouTube sets this cookie to store the video preferences of the user using embedded YouTube video.|
|yt-remote-device-id||never||YouTube sets this cookie to store the video preferences of the user using embedded YouTube video.|
|ApplicationGatewayAffinityCORS||session||No description available.|